House Help: Things To Keep In Mind When Hiring One

12:13 AM 29 Comments A+ a-

The past two days have been quite stressful to me and my husband. We discovered that my sister in law lost her money while she was staying at our house. Knowing that we didn’t take it, we only had one suspect in mind– our new house help (HH) who has only been with us for more than a week.
I quickly took a peek at her bag to check if it was her. And lo and behold… a 1000 bill was there… neatly tucked in her wallet and it was the only thing there. I knew right then that she really stole it. How? First, she wasn’t paid by her previous “employer”; second, two days in, we gave her a 200php cash advance because she asked for some time off to attend a birthday party and she didn’t have any cash. So how in the world did she have that money?
Anyway, not wanting to confront the HH and risk her leaving us (we desperately need one) I just took the money and replaced it with 100php (the same thing she did to my SIL). The day went on as usual. However, when evening came, the HH started to act unusual. She hasn’t changed to her house clothes after our quick trip to the doctor in the afternoon. She went inside our room while I was eating dinner when I didn’t tell or ask her to. And she kept on giving my husband and me reasons just so she could go out. My husband decided to follow her after she asked for permission to buy a pain killer and he saw that she was already bringing a bag with her. She immediately tossed the bag on the road when she saw my husband. And just when we’re about to sleep that evening, I decided to check my bag and discovered that my 1000php bill was missing! And based on the CCTV/home surveillance app on my husband’s phone, she was trying to sneak out of the house. That was the time we decided to talk to her. To cut the story short, she admitted stealing the money, returned it to me and we turned her over to the police.
Lesson learned
This incident has seriously taught me a lot. And I’ve realized I shouldn’t easily trust people or lower my standards just because I need help because my family’s safety is at stake.
So here are some things I’ve decided to keep in mind when hiring/screening for house help in the future:
  1. Only accept referrals from people you trust and make sure that they personally know the family of the one they’re referring.
  2. Ask for proof of identification. Have applicants or referred persons for proof of identification such as IDs, barangay/police/NBI clearance and birth certificate. This is to make sure that they are who they say they are. This will make it easier for them to apply for PhilHealth, SSS and other government mandated benefits too.
  3. Set clear rules & regulations with regards to your HH’s duties and permissions inside the household. When is she permitted to get inside your room? What are the things she’s allowed to do when inside, etc?
  4. Be mindful of your belongings especially cash. It pays to be hands on and to know exactly how many 100 or 20 peso bills you have or how many 10/5/1 peso coins you have on your wallet. This way, you’ll know exactly if something is missing or stolen. My mom is like this.. Not sure why I didn’t get her talent, heh. Also, don’t place your cash anywhere so no one gets tempted to steal no matter how big or small the amount is.
  5. Have a CCTV or surveillance camera. This doesn’t need to be high end or costly. With the advent of technology, there are plenty of free apps out there that turn your phones or tablets to CCTVs. Place them on strategic locations inside the house.
How about you? Have you ever experienced something similar? What did you do? Let me know by commenting below!

29 comments

Write comments
September 10, 2015 at 8:44 PM delete

OMG!! nakakatakot naman. siguro kung ako ang biniktima nya nireklamo ko na sya at napagsabihan. Kaso baka resbakan ka din.

Esme Sy
September 11, 2015 at 5:22 AM delete

This is my main concern when hiring help. We've had numerous cases of this and it has given me nothing but trust issues.

Anonymous
September 11, 2015 at 7:23 AM delete

I haven't experienced this yet, because we don't have a helper. This is the major reason why we didn't get a helper. Nakakatakot talaga magtiwala. Buti na lang walang nangyaring masaya sa inyo. Grabe sa ganung kaikling panahon, nakagawa na sya agad ng kalokohan. :(

Michi
September 11, 2015 at 5:25 PM delete

When I was still single and started working, I still lived in our house where my brother's family stays and their yaya stole so many things na pala to me without me knowing because I don't really check my stuff everyday. She stole all my jewelry (gifted since I was a kid), camera and money. Naghinala lang ko when I checked my money na kulang siya so I started checking my stuff and yun ang dami na pala nawala. I did not recover my jewelry (gold) but I have to give her P2000 para makuha ko lang yung camera ko (bago bili) kung kanino man niya binenta. It was not a good experience so after that I just moved out and when I got married, I did not get any yaya or helper. We did not file any charges but she was sent back to her province.

September 11, 2015 at 7:26 PM delete

We actually thought nah baka rumesbak nga po sya ulit. But I told my husband that we have to file at least a blotter so she has record and whatever happens to her after we let her go, wala kaming kasalanan or she can't turn the table on us. Better safe than sorry.

September 11, 2015 at 7:29 PM delete

Very true, Esme! While there are people who can live without house help, there are people like us who can't so we always need to be wary of the people referred to us or people who apply to work. Buti nga pera lang yung nakuha... Money can always be found and earned, the danger is if the HH do anything to our kids or any loved one.

September 11, 2015 at 7:31 PM delete

Yes, good thing walang nangyari sa amin. Because if she did something more stupid than steal money from us (i.e. hurt my babies) she would really go to jail for good. So ingat ingat nalang talaga kapag kukuha ng helper.

September 11, 2015 at 7:34 PM delete

Wow naman, Sis Michi. Ikaw pa talaga ang nagbayad. :/
Mahirap talaga magtiwala ngayon. Kung kaya lang talaga walang helper, go! Pero mahirap kasi kung wala...

Cym Marzan
September 13, 2015 at 4:14 AM delete

So glad you turned her over to the police! Other people just let them go and these HH's get to victimize other families pa. I also am very specific with instructions, like always tell me when they go inside our bedrooms and go out to their quarters or to buy something.

Dominique Goh
September 14, 2015 at 3:06 PM delete

I have heard a lot of about theft by helpers. It's really shocking to have it happen to you but lucky you manage to get back the stolen money and great you turn her over to the police.

Anna Plaida
September 14, 2015 at 7:53 PM delete

We experienced to have a maid who get some things and money from us she even used some of my sister's shoes and clothes when she went for a day off. We asked our mom to fire her or else madami pa mwawala samin. Lucky we have one now who is been with us since our elementary days and we can really trust her. Mahrap talag now basta kumuha ng maid

MELISSA U
September 15, 2015 at 5:43 AM delete

This is why my mom also doesn't want to get a helper. It's really hard to trust them nowadays. I'm just glad you're all safe and you didn't lost any money. :)

Gil Camporazo
September 15, 2015 at 6:45 AM delete

Every things in your suggestion is in order and very important. However, the fifth one or the last one is a bit expensive. Anyway it is good to have one. But sooner or later, HH will know that there's a CCTV installed for surveillance. HH next time for sure would be wary of his action and not being caught when a mistake or pilferage is done.

September 15, 2015 at 8:32 PM delete

That's scary. where did you get her? was she from an agency? baka m.o. na nya yun

September 15, 2015 at 10:06 PM delete

I have to turn her over to the police. I believe it's my social responsibility to make sure that she doesn't get to victimize another family after ours. :)

September 15, 2015 at 10:22 PM delete

Good for you, Anna! I hope we can find one who will be with us for a long time, soon. :)

September 15, 2015 at 10:28 PM delete

She was just referred to us by another HH (hh ng friend ng husband koh). She hasn't been paid for 2 months na raw kasi so we took her in... After all, we needed help in the house hold. But after discovering her theft, baka nga M.O. nya lang yun kasi when she was interviewed, we found out she never lasted more than 4 months on any of her previous employers. :/

Mommy Maye
September 16, 2015 at 10:43 PM delete

It is really hard to have a househelp, much more to find a trusted one. We have new house help now. She's the niece of my mother-in-law's friend. But my MIL doesn't know her personally so we are very careful. Our assurance is that my MIL knows her aunt and just in case she did something wrong we have someone to turn to.

Mark Villar
September 17, 2015 at 5:23 AM delete

We just hired a helper a month ago and I just hope it will not happen to us. Thanks for sharing.

September 17, 2015 at 10:06 AM delete

Nakakaloka naman, I'm glad that you guys caught her and turn into the police. I hope you find trustworthy and honest people that able to help you in the household. :) Its always good to have Surveillance camera talaga.
www.wish4less.com

Global VA
September 18, 2015 at 12:48 AM delete

That was sad. Good thing you apprehended her. Hirap talaga magtiwala these days no? Sana nagsabi na lang ng problema nya kung meron man, kesa magnakaw. Thanks for sharing..

Sarah
September 20, 2015 at 2:26 AM delete

I don't really trust maids. Especially those who present themselves. We get our house help from people we personally know. Yung alam namin saan nakatira and all. Mahirap na.

Allan D
September 20, 2015 at 4:54 AM delete

For now, it is really hard to find a house help that you can really trust. Just like the first lesson, you should only accept on the referrals of the person you trust. Just like our, we used to asked my mother to find one for us.

September 20, 2015 at 6:22 PM delete

this is one of the reasons why i really don't want to hire a nanny and have another person to live with us.

September 23, 2015 at 8:29 AM delete

We never had a house help (Thank God!) like what you just had. Ours are mostly referral and we know were they live kaya, madali lang hanapin. But we still need to be careful even though trusted sila, kasi we never know baka ma influence.

theresa
September 26, 2015 at 7:01 PM delete

Nowadays, it's really hard to trust. Buti walang nasaktan sa inyo and walang malaking nakuha.